Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 16-18: my last weekend...

there appears to be a lot of studying going on towards the end of this tour.  inevitable really, given my study schedule.  but this weekend has been about spending time with and saying goodbye to my family.  it'll be years before i get back here, so it was imperative that i found some time to spend with them.  half the weekend was so hot i had to resort to wearing a summer dress... shock horror!  and the other half was spent hiding from the rain that came arrived on saturday.  no doubt in sympathy for poor edinburgh, which witnessed icky flooding this week.  our rain only drizzled for a day though.  and it was sandwiched between 30 degree heat on friday and sunday.  so not too similar in reality!

i've spent a lot of time tinkering on my new guitar, sitting in the local cafe reading my uni books, drinking a lot of my brothers home-roasted coffee, and squishing mosquitoes.  the downside of heat is bugs!

i stayed friday night at my brothers beach cottage (a 'bach' for the kiwis, or a summer house for the rest of ya) - it reminded me of countless places we used to stay at as kids in NZ - cosy, homely, always slightly unfinished.
Mia the dog, at brother's cottage...
by saturday the rain hit (typical - i go to a beach and it rains!)...
15 out of the 18 days have been sweltering heat, so canada, you are forgiven!
i did fall a little bit in love while i was at the cottage though - his name is Sam, and his eyes are full of love for me...
and he did help me catch one of my favourite pics of the entire tour!  i may have to use this for an album cover or something.  compositionally it is fuckin' perfect. 
best pic ever. fact.
after saying goodbye to my brother and his family, i got down to some real studying... by that i mean that i downloaded a good book to my kindle app and sat out in the garden with my mum ;-)

mum's house and garden
i was pleased to find that after many years of vegetarianism, my mum now eats meat.  good girl.  and check out this 6.5kg steak that she bought at the local market... for only $10...

tilt your head, the rotation plug-in ain't working!
tomorrow we leave for Pictou - where i sing for 2 hours at a marina.  it was the famous lobster carnival all weekend, so i may have no audience, but hell, what a place for a gig eh!  here's an audience pic taken of me at Stan Fest - thanks to Paula for this one.
we then have a couple of days in the city of Halifax - where i have to pick up the travel case for my new guitar, eat a lot of nice food, and say goodbye to my tour!

see you on the flipside, bitches.

emphatically yours, O.

No comments: