Thursday, July 07, 2011

Day 13-14: the case of the accidental guitar...

so, this down time has been utterly perfect - I was emotionally and physically exhausted. it is good to know what my touring parameters are for the future! but I'm glad I had the opportunity to have a few days off.

I am currently covered in tiling grout and silicone, having done a tiling job for my mum. not the lazy days I'd imagined, but there's been plenty of time for that too. it's amazing how much time is worth when you are not in your usual environs!

so, yesterday I went into a musical instrument shop, just cos I didn't fancy trekking round Home Hardware with my mum... and there I met head of the guitar dept, Blair - the guitar savant of Moncton NB. seriously, this man chatted to me briefly, asked me a few questions, showed me a couple of guitars and then said 'wait there, I have exactly the guitar that fits your personality'... and handed me a Canadian maple and rosewood Seagull (Godin). now, it doesn't look like my style of guitar, there's nothing fancy about it... it is understated in very pale maple... but then you play it and by god it shines. I can honestly say it's the best sounding guitar I have ever heard or played! so, I sat for nearly an hour playing her... falling in love with her... and then another 45 mins shuffling money around in my head trying to figure out a way to buy her! an hour and £550 quid later, she was mine. and I was broke. but I didn't care ;-)
let's hope I sell some more CDs at my gig in New Glasgow tomorrow to help pay for her!

bringing two guitars home may be a logistical nightmare, but I have this cunning plan to strap them together into one double-guitar beast to get around luggage allowances. we'll see if that works eh!?!

so, yeah, I now need to sell my awesome Peavey Rockingham jazz body semi... I love her, but don't use her to her full potential... and can't justify keeping all 4 guitars, especially when I can't afford to! £270 ono...
I only have 2 more tour dates left - tomorrow at Celtic Circle in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, and then on the 11th at Pictou Marina.  i will spend this weekend with my brother at his holiday cottage by the beach, and then the last couple of days in Halifax (an actual city ;-) with my mum - catching up with all the promoters and people who have helped me book this tour.

taking the time to reflect a little, i've got to say that this tour has taught me loads - about booking venues overseas, about different audiences, and about being versatile - i knew i could be, but this really made me up my game.  to any of my muso friends pondering a tour like this - it ain't easy, and you had better be on fire, cos what works for the same old edinburgh audiences every week WILL NOT work everywhere and you had better be prepared!  and have a healthy supply of cash and red bull ;-)

tangentially yours, O.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: