Saturday, July 02, 2011

Day 10 (2 July): Stan-muthafuckin`-fest!

consider Stanfest slayed - SLAYED! as i sit here (on a wee hill overlooking the main stage), listening to Gabriel Yacoub and reflecting on what has been an amazing day, it occurs to me how lucky i am to be here.
i sang on the Fox Island stage at 1pm with 5 other `tweeners` (the song contest winners), to an audience of a couple hundred people.  it was feckin`awesome!  i had a lot of great feedback afterwards - including people jumping out at me all day telling me how much they loved it.  to those lovely folk - thank you.  and thanks to everyone who bought my CDs (it paid for my hotel)!  oh yeah, i also had Stan Rogers`cousin, Hartley, come up and get his copy of my CD signed - frickin`awesome!

video of the performance will be forthcoming!

we had special performer passes, so we stayed all day and enjoyed the music and brilliant atmosphere.  highlights for me were The Divorcees (the lead singer was all kinds of hillbilly HOT), Peter Yarrow (from Peter, Paul & Mary), and The United Steel Workers of Montreal.  awesome choons, pals!
The Divorcees leadsinger
Peter Yarrow
apparently the weather is very rarely sunny for Stanfest - but this year we got a doozy - beautiful hot sun and a lovely sea breeze all day... i particularly like this pic of mum in her gigantic sun hat...
much of the day was spent under my improvised parasol (mum`s umbrella), laying in the sun near the wee daytime music stages - bliss...
we stuck around for the first few acts of the main stage action from 7pm - i had a perverse desire to see The Crash Test Dummies play.  curiosity got the better of me.  turns out they were not only rubbish, but were condescending to their audience and it made me cringe!
a huge thanks to the Stanfest crew and judges for choosing me as a `tweener`, to the sound crew who made us all sound ace, and to mum for driving 5 hours out of her way to make sure i got to do this gig!  utterly fuckin`awesome.

to my new fans - welcome! 

sarcastically yours, O.

No comments: