Friday, February 21, 2014

censorship. the pussy riot dichotomy. and my incredible disappearing trick.

so, you probably didn't notice, but i haven't posted here in a long time. i'm not going to go into the nitty gritty, because despite popular belief, i actually do have a lotta tact when needed. but let me give you a brief overview for your voyeuristic delectation...

it started out with a photo shoot of me in support of the russian band pussy riot. 'free pussy riot' was written into one of my tattoos. i was making a stand on freedom of speech and protest through song. perhaps they missed the news, but some people* thought i wasn't making a political point but just choosing to be lewd. the irony was deeply hilarious but really fucking sad at the same time. in order to keep the peace, I took down the photo and my blog.

this tore me up.

i have always had the balls to be me... to resolutely remain true to myself in order to retain that self-love and confidence i have fought so hard for. my decision to allow them to censor me made me doubt myself. i let them change me... and that scarred me more than i realised it would. but hindsight is a f*cking gift, ain't it?!

a lot of time has passed, and the last couple of years have taught me a multitude of lessons: trust your gut over other people; fight for what you believe in; do not listen to people who tear you down because of their own fears; try to understand their fears and be forgiving, even when they have been cocks; and take risks - leaping into the unknown is scary but it can lead to a summer off and a bunch of gigs ;-)

it's hard to summarise the time between then and now, not without a blog so big that people would balk at the verbosity... so, let's just throw some words in a row and hope that it gets the gist across...

graduated. got a job. blackberry. 70hr weeks. life happens. love happens. love is more important, so screw job and life. summer in the sun. gigs galore. i love the festival. i love summer. love conquers all. he likes it so he puts a ring on it. sapphire. new job. masters degree. best move ever. busy and hungry for more. manic and romantic and perfect, y'dig?

i am knee-deep in my Masters Degree in Museum Studies - yes, i'm a masochist. it's bloody interesting. and although i spend my life reading and writing essays, i'm heartily digging it!

my music took a wee break post festival, but i have gigs booked in March & April...


  • Weds 12th March - 13th Note, Glasgow 
  • Weds 19th March - Henry's Late Night Cabaret, Edinburgh 
  • Thurs 3rd April - Acoustic Edinburgh, Jazz Bar, Edinburgh
  • Friday 25th April - Glad Cafe (supporting Hercules Mandarin), Glasgow 


come along, help me rediscover what this rock n' roll lark is all about ;-)

ok bitches, voyeurs, and rapscallions, i salute you (but only ironically).

xxO

(* names protected as it was a few cowardly people amongst a sea of generally wonderful ones)

No comments: